Monday, August 06, 2007

These Aren't Your Dad's Cartoons


Lately the girls have been watching Full Metal Alchemist. It is, I believe, a Japanese cartoon show - import. I don't have any objections to them watching this. Katie has been picking up on the art and has been sketching the characters. Megan just likes the stories.

They spend a lot of time looking for stories. Both of them are really into fantasy - dragons, witches, Harry Potter - you name it.


When I was their age, I loved Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd and all the Warner Bros. cartoons.
I even liked Popeye the Sailor. I hated the cartoons where the characters barely moved and the mouths didn't really do anything. The humor was awkward, if not mean.


I know times change. It's just that I hate to be on the other side of that time. My kids are doing and saying things that I did - and that's great - but one doesn't really want to be an Old Fogie, and that is just how I'm feeling.

::sigh::