Thursday, August 09, 2007

Anticipation - It Changes Everything

Earlier this week I brought my bike to work. That way, when I have a meeting clear across campus, I don't have to check out a vehicle (or use my own) to get there. No, indeedy. I get my fat behind up in the saddle and cycle my way over to whatever building in which my presence is required. Now, believe it or not, my employer actually provides bicycles with which to do this. However, said equipment is a lot like what I learned to ride on in the 60's - very fat tires, loud orange color, huge and heavy frame. However, the bikes do sport a basket (mine does not). Just the same, I like riding my own bicycle - and sometimes at lunch I go for long rides exploring around the vineyards and nearby ranches.

Occasionally, when I don't feel like nuking a Weight-Watchers dinner or Progresso soup
for my lunch, I want a nice salad. Today was such a day. So I climbed aboard my bike and toodled off to the Central Cafe' here on campus. There was the usual salad bar offerings and pre-made salads in the cooler. But, over there, to the left, was someone who was mixing up Greek Cobb Salads to order.

Oooooh, look at all the pretty ingredients. There was spinach, romaine lettuce, dark Greek olives, peppers, onions, cucumbers, goat cheese and spicy flat bread to accompany the delights. And to top it off was my choice of chicken or lamb. Well, doh, that's a no-brainer - lamb, hands down. How often do I ever get to eat lamb? Like almost never (50% of the household runs gagging whenever I try to grill lamb chops - identities are withheld to protect their sensibilities, but their names both start with "K").

So, as I watched the server preparing my salad, I found myself salivating in anticipation. Watching it be assembled, it just looked so darned pretty and yummy. This happens to me every time - total anticipation. The actual eating of the final product, while usually good, never quite reaches the anticipated levels of ecstasy I thought I might reach.

Funny how that works.

And, on a semi-related topic - why does it always seem to take so darned long going somewhere, and coming home is in just a blink?