Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mapquest Saved Her Butt

Kandy and Katie went to a picnic at the Alameda Fairgrounds. Or, at least that is where they where they thought they were headed. Here at home I was puttering about, getting my work-out clothes, shoes, water, and other assorted goodies put together for an afternoon of physical activity at LifestyleRx.

Just as I was about to leave the phone rings. Did I hear a "Hello?" No. Just a launch into,

K: "Okay, where are the fairgrounds."

D: "Uh, where they were the last time we were there. I think?"

K: "I've driven clear through town. I haven't seen the fairgrounds yet." Where are they?"

D: "Where are you? I can't tell you how to get there if I don't know where you are."
Exasperated breathing is now leaking out of the phone and into my ear. I had better be much more touchy-feely about this or my ass is burnt.
D: "Ok, I think the fairgrounds are on Bernal. Are you on Bernal?"

K: "No. I'm not on Bernal. Where is Bernal?"

D: "Do you want me to pull up Mapquest? I'm right here at the computer."

K: "Yeah, do that."
I could hear her teeth grinding. I pull up Mapquest and put in Bernal. Hmm... the map coming up is less than exciting at this point.
K: "I'm on Sunol. Does that help?"
Ah! That's the trick. I put in the intersection of Bernal and Sunol - and There It IS! Wow, and that only took about 20 seconds to make a mistake, correct it, and then get the right map. Too cool.
D: "Got it! If you're going east, turn left on Bernal and the Fairgrounds should be right after the railroad tracks on your right."
Okay, so it looks like she'll make it to the picnic afterall. A couple minutes later the phone rings again. I'm not sure whether I should dread answering, or not. Oh well, I guess I had better answer.
K: "There's a sign on the other side of the road pointing to the Fairgrounds, but oh-no, not on the side I'm driving on."
Again the teeth grinding. The other side of the road comes from the highway, while her side comes from town. I guess they figure us locals should know where we're going.

Yeah, right.